Beginning in October, the Carolina Conference Communication Department is launching an online venture to connect with youth and young adults. As with many other denominations, there has been a generational divide between the younger and older church members in the Seventh-day Adventist Church, and recently those differing views have created tension, a lack of trust, and as a result, a loss of communication. The absence of young adults within the Church has been noticed and felt, and the Conference wants to let them know they are cared about and missed.
Carolina Conference has developed Project: ReFRESH, a digital platform which speaks of the Church family’s values within the relevance of a young person’s experiences, and ministers to them on a real level.
Visit the website at theprojectrefresh.org to find a variety of content designed for youth and young adults. There are currently five video series in production and six podcasts, as well as a blog, forward, and a myriad of social media content. They include:
- The Loop: A vlog about “adulting” provides how-tos that take the mystery out of tasks such as buying a car, dealing with insurance, and creating a budget.
- Tiny Chair Talks: This video series with host Ray Gray takes a head-on approach to “elephant in the room” subjects, but with a twist.
- Echo: A simultaneous podcast/video series, Echo brings together different viewpoints, but finds common ground on difficult topics. This series features Ryan Becker as host.
- As I Am: This video/podcast series highlights individuals whose gripping testimonies prove that no matter who they are, all have struggles, but through Christ can overcome. Series one focuses on Carolina Conference leadership.
- Walking Free: A podcast aimed for young men, Walking Free offers encouragement and support, as well as tools to navigate the landmines surrounding today’s Christian.
- Kathy’s Kids Storytime: This popular podcast provides simple Christian stories for young children.
A conference-wide young adult/youth event calendar and an online survey to give input on the content that should be created has been designed, and will facilitate feedback on young people’s experiences and interactions with the Church and Adventist beliefs. The goals is simply to get to know them better. The support and feedback of youth/young adult directors or ministry leaders are solicited as well.
Hopefully Project: ReFRESH will initiate personal conversation and dialogue among all ages everywhere with the ultimate goal of inspiring revival and reunion within the Church family. Join to make a difference, communicate — and be heard — as together members and Conference prepare for the common goal of going home with the Lord when He returns. This is just the beginning.
Those interested in volunteering to assist with the creation and/or management of media content, can contact the Communication Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 704-596-3200.
Carolina | October 2018