Thirty-six teams of Pathfinders from the Southern Union met at Georgia-Cumberland Academy (GCA) in Calhoun, Georgia to participate in the Southern Union Pathfinder Bible Experience (PBE) on March 25. Each team worked together to answer 90 questions from the book of John and the introduction to John in the Andrews Study Bible.
To participate in the Union level PBE, teams must have placed first, a rank determined by the percentage of questions answered correctly, in area and conference level PBE events. Six of the eight conferences within the Southern Union were represented by the teams. Each team consisted of up to six members and one alternate
Amaiya, a PBE member of the Maranatha Church in the Florida Conference, said she enjoys PBEs.
“I like the adrenaline rush and the mix of being nervous but being excited at the same time,” said Amaiya.
The teams had 30-90 seconds to answer each of the questions. This year, Greg Taylor, Southern Union youth director, read the questions in English while John Newlove, South Atlantic Conference youth director read the questions in Spanish. Carolina Conference PBE Coordinator Tim Blake kept time. Blake, who will also keep time at the NAD PBE, said he has kept time for the Union and NAD for about 10 years. A panel of six judges reviewed and scored answers submitted by the Pathfinders.
An audience of supporters watched from the seats of the GCA wellness center. Amy Mikelvank, a parent of a team member from a Georgia-Cumberland Conference team, said watching the event was interesting.
“It’s exciting to see how everything works … and to see the lessons that they’re learning that they’ll take on into adulthood and the rest of their lives,” Mikelvank said.
Thirty-one of the 36 teams received first place and qualified for the division level PBE scheduled for April 21-22 in Tampa, Florida.
- Birmingham Highrisers Sons of Thunder (Gulf States)
- Birmingham Highrisers Water Walkers (Gulf States)
- Collegedale Korean Pioneers (Georgia-Cumberland)
- Duluth Warriors Blue (Georgia-Cumberland)
- Eliathah Envoys (Florida Conference)
- Forest Lake Team A (Florida Conference)
- Forest Lake Team C (Florida Conference)
- Ft. Lauderdale Spanish Astros Team 1 (Florida Conference)
- Ft. Lauderdale Spanish Astros Team 2 (Florida Conference)
- Gethsemane Cougars (South Atlantic)
- Greenville North Stars Team A (Carolina Conference)
- Highland Warriors The Path of the Finders (Kentucky-Tennessee)
- Lehigh Acres Royal Knights (Florida Conference)
- Marantha Torchbearer Team (Florida Conference)
- McDonald Road The Beloved (Georgia-Cumberland)
- McDonald Road The Other Disciples (Georgia-Cumberland)
- Melbourne Team A (Florida Conference)
- Miami Central Spanish (Florida Conference)
- Midpoint Conquerors (Florida Conference)
- Raleigh Navigators Bible Warriors (Carolina Conference)
- Raleigh Navigators God’s Governors (Carolina Conference)
- Raleigh Spanish Team A (Carolina Conference)
- Raleigh Spanish Team B (Carolina Conference)
- South Brevard Visioneers (Florida Conference)
- Tampa First Warriors Team 1 (Florida Conference)
- Tampa First Warriors Team 2 (Florida Conference)
- Tri-Cities Swords (Georgia-Cumberland)
- Umoja Central Warriors (Carolina Conference)
- Waynesboro Conqueror’s Unbreakable (Kentucky-Tennessee)
- Westchester Spanish Team 1 (Florida Conference)
- Westchester Spanish Team 2 (Florida Conference)
“I would like to congratulate [the first place teams] and encourage them to use this beautiful knowledge of scripture to not only help them through life’s challenges, but also to help others,” Taylor said.
Many team members are looking forward to participating in PBE again next year. According to the North American Division’s PBE website, the books for next year’s PBE will be Joshua and Judges.